Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Motherhood Indignity #456: Baby Brain

A friend and I were just talking (ok texting, but what is a busy mom to do?) about how motherhood is sometimes a string of indignities.  The first one that came to my mind was my lack of time to shower.  The indignity was specifically having to leave your house without a shower so frequently.  Before baby, not showering was a choice... even a badge of honor for a FUN night previous.  Now there is no choice and too few FUN nights, so motherhood indignity #1 was born.

Even the term "baby brain" makes me ill.  Before having said "baby", I would have said it didn't exist.  I have now realized the term is a misnomer.  It is not like my brain is not the whip-smart (IMHO) brain from my pre-baby days, it just has MORE to remember.

Case in point?  I ran out to a store an hour ago.  It was a quick trip between naps.  Kasen is refusing to go to sleep if she misses her "I am sleepy, lady" window.  This makes her just a joy to be around, so she has trained me to stick close to home (Loss of Schedule Control - another indignity).  I digress.  In my rush to get to the store quickly (to have more time before public baby meltdown), I walked out without my wallet.  OF COURSE I DID - I had diaper changing supplies, baby bjorn, toys, change of clothes, car seat, list of store items and a BABY.  Turns out moms just have more stuff to think of then the rest of us.  When I got to the counter to pay (yes, I got all the way to the counter), I realized the mistake.  The teenager at the cash register looked at me like I was a moron - I mean who forgets their wallet when headed to a store?

I am now back home and Kasen is sleeping.  If I'm lucky the teenager will not be there by the time I make it back.  Guess bad TV is on my to do plan.....

Your gift for listening to my complaints? A cute picture of Kasen:

No comments:

Post a Comment