Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Can a baby have friends?

I am a member of a PEPS group. PEPS is an organization dedicated to supporting parents - especially new parents in the first year of their child's' life (click here to learn more). Basically if you are a parent in Seattle, you have heard of PEPS. If you are a new mom in Seattle, you are joining PEPS. Reason? You hear about so many people that had awesome experiences, you figure you can't NOT at least try it. I admit I was hesitant at first. I have never been one of those people with a million close friends. The idea of being in a group of 11 women and finding true friends seemed unlikely to me.
But I love the idea of Kasen having friends her age. Friends she has know since before she has memories. Friends in the neighborhood. Friends where you can go to their house in the evening for a bedtime story in your pajamas. Well, we only knew one person who was due around Kasen (our friends Adam and Rachel - the picture shows Kasen and Sam meeting for this first time - she was smitten, he unimpressed).

After 8 weeks, I am convinced. Get 11 new moms in a room and they will find some common ground. Maybe that common ground will revolve around the color of their child's poo or the current state of their nap schedule - but common group it is. Below is a picture of all the PEPS babies. They are all so cute. I mean come on - babies are cute (if you aren't really a baby person, substitute puppies in the picture - SEE cute right?). Kasen is the one in the dotted brown pants in the bottom of the picture. She is checking out her friend Bennett. In fact, she may be pulling the "YYYAAAWWNNN" arm maneuver. She is nothing if not smooth.

Did you notice the cutie in the lime green shirt? Yes the adorable Buddha baby yawning with arms raised? That is a sushi t-shirt.... on a baby.... I mean when you think it couldn't get better... BAM!! Sushi baby t-shirt. Anyone still feel bad for mom's with boys? Talk to this kid's mom. Boys clothes are just as cute - although admittedly harder to locate. Just looking at this picture makes me smile. I hope Kasen gets to grow up with these kids. I think my baby has friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment