Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Baby = Living Tamagotchi?

When I was in college, one of the toy crazes was Tamagotchi pets. If you aren't around my age feel free to click here for the Wikipedia description. If you are my age, you remember these key chains. They had buttons on them to feed, clean, play and put your pet to sleep. Honestly, I never had one (nor understood them), but I did "Tamagotchi-sit" for friends. You see if you stopped hitting the buttons, your pet would get "sick" (again not having the toy, I may be describing it slightly inaccurately). The point? If your pet got "sick" enough, it would die. Some toy huh? "Here honey, keep hitting the buttons or your toy pet will DIE." For those of you that think this seems a stupid fad? Remember this was before cell phones, Ipods & DVD players. I had friends that would wake up in the middle of the night to push the buttons.

I described taking care of a baby to my sister-in-law once... "It is like a living Tamagotchi toy. I spend all day doing the same tasks... feed, feed, feed, diaper, diaper, diaper, rock, rock, rock....". She (mom to my 3 yr old niece) loved the analogy. She completely agreed newborns were like that - a lot of effort without much return on their part. She promised me it would change once Kase could smile. She was right.

Kasen is smiling all the time now and turning into a real, live, mini-human. Below is a video of her at a month old. She wasn't smiling for real yet, but she always had these great "sleep smiles". I now realize most babies have them, a smile that happens just as they fall asleep. Sadly for Kase, she also turned into the Exorcist. Not the green puke or the head spinning, but DEFINITELY the eyes rolling back. As an update, she now closes her eyes before going to sleep. We are so proud.

Kasen - I promise I will never show this video to any future boyfriends..... even the ones with tattoos....








From Kasen Videos


BTW - if you can't see this video, leave me a comment (or send me an . I can email you and maybe get it fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment