Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A baby's "super power"...

I am sure my brother and sister-in-law did not coin this conversation topic, but they are quick to point out their friends' "super powers". Since they were the first I remember saying it, I always think of them when the subject comes up. It is never leaping tall buildings or seeing through walls... always something fairly mundane yet generally unique to the person all the same. Ever since they said it, I have found I enjoy using this in conversations as well - seems like verbal confetti to me... no real purpose, but fun all the same.

Recently, when Kasen was newly home, I quickly pointed out a new super power to one of my friends.  Karl had an amazing ability to sleep soundly through the baby crying, but yet manage to hear his phone vibrate downstairs (I do not think this power is unique to him). Luckily he has lots of more "impressive" super powers. 

After seeing this picture, I have figured out my daughter's first super power (yet I am pretty sure most babies share this extra ability) - she is impressed with EVERYTHING. Karl was flicking this silly plastic elephant on her exersaucer. It doesn't even do anything... no lights, no sounds, no moving parts. She can't even grab it. Yet? Sheer shock and awe. I will have to save this picture. I may need to remind myself of this simple joy someday when she is snarling at me from the back seat.  Plus then it may work as a nice bargaining tool due to the drooly chin.

1 comment: