Thursday, March 31, 2011

Birthday week


Kasen turns 1 this weekend and I should be doing more birthday prep.  I had a terrific birthday role model.  My mom ROCKED birthdays.  I had the party where kids always wanted to get invited (and I was still positive no one would show up).  She had games, prizes and awesome cakes way before any of that stuff was standard issue.  I once had a purple boom box cake.  [Yes it was the eighties and yes you are jealous]  In fact, that was one of the best parts of having your birthday.  Telling mom what kind of cake you wanted.  My younger brother once had a cake that was the EXACT replica of his favorite He-Man character - Buzz-Off. Now, my mother didn't make these cakes herself... she had games to plan after all.  However, she did find a cake artist in Kalamazoo, MI.  Impressive to say the least.

For my first birthday, we went to the High Wheeler.  This is a was a ice cream place in Kalamazoo that was a true ice cream PARLOR.  They had the red stools and everything.  Do I remember this event?  No, I was ONE.  However, I have seen the scratchy seventies photos and it was a party.  There was a huge sundae and some guy with a big horn.  My entire family was there and a bunch of friends.  Everyone looks like they are having a ball... at a one year old's birthday party.  Big shoes.

Sadly, I believe I may be falling down on the job a bit.  I do not have anything spectacular planned for her birthday.  I guess she will need something to talk about with her therapist in her thirties...

We celebrated while in Texas and we had a party with all her PEPS buddies last week (photo above), so we are laying low for the actual birthday, dinner and pints at our favorite local pub (pints for us... milk for Kasen).

Here is Kasen after FULLY enjoying her first cupcake at the PEPS birthday bash.



Kasen would like you to know frosting doubles as hair gel AND is edible.  My kid is a freakin' genius!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment